OUR HISTORY

Torre Quarto winery was built by the French Dukes de la Rochefoucauld, in 1847. They had large estates in southern Italy, and the one in Cerignola was their greatest one. It covered an area of about 5000 hectares of which 3000 were vineyards.
That's why they built their winery in the area surrounding Cerignola. It was called “Quarto Ducale” (that means “duke quarter”), because the estates was a quarter of the Cerignola district. Here the Dukes de la Rochefoucauld produced red wine that they sent to France, where it was used for blending and bottled to be sold as French wine. They had a private railway line to link their winery to the nearest railway station, to send their wine to France regularty.

The wine was aged in French oak casks, over 150 of these huge casks (containing each about 290 hl) are still kept the cellars of Torre Quarto. In the 1930s the Belgian family Solvay Bautier became owner of this winery and renamed it “Torre Quarto”, after the tower which part of the building, which was one, a schnapps distillery. Torre Quarto began marketing and selling the wine in Italy and all over the world and doing so, were among the first wine producers to dissolve the belief that wines from Puglia were used for blending wine only. Passing the time the name “Torre Quarto” became synonym of quality; in fact it was receveid a lot of rewards, medals and certificates for its excellence and it is also know as one of the
most famous wines from Puglia. Nowadays the still owner of the winery, attorney Angela Tarantino, thanks to family tradition producing excellent quality wines.